Many parents bring their kids to the orthodontist in Harrisburg when their permanent teeth start to come out to make sure that dental issues like misaligned teeth or overcrowded teeth are corrected early. It does not necessarily mean that the child will get braces right away. The orthodontist will examine the child’s mouth, gums and teeth before deciding on the right time to provide treatment.
Reasons why adults see an orthodontist
- Orthodontic treatment is not exclusively for children and teenagers. Results of a survey made by American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry reveals that 40% of the female respondents and 36% of the male respondents believe that an imperfect smile is less attractive than perfect smiles. Also, 58% men and 71% women believe that the teeth are the first thing they notice from a potential partner.
- Dental issues like crooked teeth and crowded teeth affect a person’s appearance and self esteem. Braces can change the appearance of a person which can lead to increased self confidence.
- Orthodontic treatment can improve the overall health of patients. Malocclusion can be caused by overcrowded teeth. Braces can fix this dental problem to achieve straighter teeth which are easier to brush and clean. Proper dental hygiene prevents oral diseases, tooth decay and tooth loss. The patient will also be less prone to periodontal diseases.
- Teeth move naturally at any age and can cause misaligned teeth or overlapping teeth. When the teeth grow to an inappropriate position, it can be treated through braces.
- In the past, adults won’t be caught wearing braces because the dental appliance is associated to teenagers. However, there are other options to metal braces which are more apt for adults like clear braces, self-ligating braces or Invisalign aligners. These treatment options are very popular because they are barely noticeable to prevent anyone from knowing that a patient is wearing a dental appliance.
The fact is the orthodontist in Harrisburg treats everybody regardless of age. One in four patients at the orthodontic’s clinic is adults, not children. Aside from improving your smile, your overall lifestyle will be enhanced because you are now more confident and happy.